My Xbox Experience
Raymanjr
2004-12-06 04:05:02 UTC
Please pass this around. It is the letter I've tried to send to Microsoft
but some of it has failed. Thanks!

To Whom It May Concern:

I have owned my Xbox console for three years now and have an active
subscription to Xbox Live for two years. I’ve been extremely happy with my
Xbox and I think Microsoft has created a good customer base for itself in the
game console industry. Being an avid gamer and subscriber to the Xbox Live
service you have my support and loyalty. Although this maybe coming to an
end.

I’ve recently experienced a fatal problem with my Xbox. After having the
product for three years it finally ceased to work.

It’s been a great machine up until its last year of existence.

The first problem I encountered occurred in July of 2004. I experienced
problems with my network card. I contacted Xbox Support and after going
through the troubleshooting steps with a Support Attendant, I was instructed
to send my Xbox into an Xbox Repair Center in Tennessee. Turns out they
refused to fix it and after two weeks of not having my Xbox, it was finally
sent back to me. I plugged it into my entertainment center and the network
card worked without a single hitch. I was able to sign onto Xbox Live and
play.

Everything was running smooth from then on. That is, up until about two
weeks ago. It was Tuesday, November 23rd of last month. That is when my
Xbox completely rendered itself useless.

I was in the middle of playing a game of Halo 2 on Xbox Live on November
23rd. I noticed that my sound had cut off. Thinking it was my fault I
checked my TV volume and the A/V jacks on the TV and Xbox. They were all
secure and working fine. Then I went back to my Xbox to play a little more.
I only got 30 seconds of play. The Xbox then froze and I sat there for a
second thinking it would eventually respond. After about a minute, to a
minute and a half I decided to restart my Xbox. As I opened my entertainment
center doors, my Xbox’s main LED light started flashing BLOOD red. At that
time I was expecting the worse. And that worst-case scenario was fulfilled.
I looked up at my TV in time to see the frozen game screen flicker off and a
multi-lingual error message come up. It said “Your Xbox requires service.
Please call Xbox Customer Support.” Doing as the error screen instructed I
called up Xbox Support.

After about five minutes of holding on the phone, my problem was being
addressed by a Support Representative. I told them my situation and what was
going on. They advised me through troubleshooting and nothing helped.
Finally, I was told that I would have to send my Xbox in, to be repaired.
However, it was not under warranty so the service would be out of warranty
work. I asked how much the out of warranty work would cost and I was told
that it would cost $130! I couldn’t believe what I was hearing! It was going
to cost $130 for a new hard drive and the installation of that hard drive! I
would also be without my Xbox for approximately two weeks, as I was told. To
top it all off I had to pay shipping and handling. Needless to say, I wasn’t
going to send in my Xbox. For only $20 more I could buy a brand new Xbox
with two games and two months free of Xbox Live. After telling the Support
Representative that I wouldn’t send my Xbox in, I ended the call and went to
research my problem.

In researching the problem I found that I wasn’t the only one with this
occurring. As I discovered it’s called the “Christmas Lights Error”, because
the main Xbox LED light flashes red and green. This is a sign that the Xbox
hard drive has failed and will not boot. In more searching I found an online
petition started by a lawyer who was looking to sue Microsoft for the faulty
hard drives. Apparently the lawyer’s son had gotten an Xbox and it broke in
the same manner as mine. Many other people had come and talked about their
problems and signed the petition against Microsoft’s Xbox console. Almost
everyone’s problems sounded the same. They all had the same error message
and the same price for repair. After researching for a couple days I found
that no free alternative was available for me to repair my Xbox myself.

I’ve been without my Xbox for almost two weeks now.

I am currently saving for a new game console. I have to wait until
Christmas to obtain the money to purchase a new one. Since I’m only 14 and
do not have a job, this money is not easy to come-by. I’m still debating
whether or not to buy a new Xbox, or buy a PlayStation 2. The PS2 is only at
$150 now, and looks pretty good with its new features. If I do purchase a
PS2 I will not pay the $50 to renew my Xbox Live subscription for 2005.

This breaking of my Xbox comes at the absolute worst time possible. I don’t
think it would be possible for it to find a worse time to stop functioning.
It is during the height of game release for Xbox, the Holiday Season, and
most importantly it is no longer under warranty. I also had reserved a copy
of Halo 2 for almost two years. I waited outside until about 1:00 a.m., to
get my copy. It has been less than a month that I’ve been able to enjoy Halo
2. Now, I feel as if my loyalty to Microsoft has not been returned. It
seems like Microsoft wants me to buy a new Xbox console every couple of
years. This is definitely something that I cannot afford to do.

I also know two of my friends who have had their Xbox-s stop working. We
all had the same problem. They bought theirs’ in 2002 after I bought mine in
December of 2001. The first friend’s broke but was under warranty, but
barely, so he was able to obtain another. The second friend’s broke about a
month before mine and as a result he had to buy another. My two friends are
on their second Xbox. We all live on the same street and between us, we have
gone through three Xbox-s. That I find absolutely outrageous. Three people
on the same street have all encountered broken Xbox-s. This problem is far
more frequent than I had originally thought.

Since I was a subscriber to Xbox Live for almost two years, I had obtained a
couple pieces of downloadable content for my games. Now if I choose to buy a
new Xbox I will NOT download this content because it will be the second time
to get this content. I would have to spend the $5 to purchase it again.
This is because of a faulty Xbox hard drive. Why would I want to download
that content when this could happen to me again and as a result I lose the
content for a possible third time?! I had downloaded two premium car
packages for Project Gotham Racing 2 and the premium content maps for
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow. The only God-saving grace I’ve experienced
in my ordeal is that I had copied my Xbox Live account to a memory card. I
won’t even be able to play for a month of Xbox Live service that I’ve already
paid for due to this problem.

Around my community I am known as the go-to-guy for computer assistance and
video game advice. Keeping up with the latest computer and technology
innovations, I have developed a strong reputation with everybody that I know.
I am also a subscriber to the Official Xbox Magazine for the past two years,
in order to keep up with the Xbox news and games. I own my own computer
business and I have strongly recommended the majority of all Microsoft
products, especially the Xbox. Whenever I was presented with a question of
which game console one should buy, I always said to purchase the Xbox along
with Xbox Live, if possible. My belief in Microsoft and their products is
dwindling. The Xbox console, games and accessories, the Windows operating
system, and any other Microsoft brand products will not be my first
suggestion to all who seek advice.

I was one of the early buyers of the Xbox console. I spent $300 for my
console and I realize that this was a bargain with the Xbox being a basic
computer. A computer that should have been sold at around $600. I also
realize that you needed to make-up for this loss and get as much money out of
the Xbox program as you possibly could. However, I have roughly spent near
$2000 to $2500 dollars on my Xbox, Xbox games and the Xbox accessories.

This issue has pushed me from the idea of buying an Xbox 2 at launch.
Instead, I will seriously be considering other game consoles. With the
problems on my Xbox I can only help but think that the Xbox 2 will have the
same type of problems, when it comes out.

My request is that I be redeemed for my problems. Either to get my Xbox
repaired or have the entire unit replaced. I have been most unhappy through
this whole ordeal and I will be looking forward to your response.

-Raymond Harrell
xTenn
2004-12-06 05:01:36 UTC
Post by Raymanjr
Please pass this around. It is the letter I've tried to send to Microsoft
but some of it has failed. Thanks!
1. How could you send it in for repair in July 2004 if you had it since
December 2001? No warranty by
a long shot.

2. You say, "Since I'm only 14 and do not have a job, this money is not
easy to come-by", but later you state, "I own my own computer business".
You contradict yourself.

3. Why do you say, "my Xbox's main LED light started flashing BLOOD red. At
that time I was expecting the worse. And that worst-case scenario was
fulfilled.". But later you say, "As I discovered it's called the "Christmas
Lights Error", because the main Xbox LED light flashes red and green."
This is another contradiction, going from blood red to red and green.

Hate to say it but until you get your story straight not many will take you
serious.
Mike C
2004-12-06 07:26:54 UTC
Post by xTenn
1. How could you send it in for repair in July 2004 if you had it since
December 2001? No warranty by
a long shot.
2. You say, "Since I'm only 14 and do not have a job, this money is not
easy to come-by", but later you state, "I own my own computer business".
You contradict yourself.
3. Why do you say, "my Xbox's main LED light started flashing BLOOD red.
At
that time I was expecting the worse. And that worst-case scenario was
fulfilled.". But later you say, "As I discovered it's called the "Christmas
Lights Error", because the main Xbox LED light flashes red and green."
This is another contradiction, going from blood red to red and green.
Hate to say it but until you get your story straight not many will take you
serious.
Added to which, as your Xbox is out of warranty anyway and you're supposedly
so much of a computer expert then opening up your Xbox and replacing the
drive yourself shouldn't be a problem. Original, locked, Xbox drives aren't
exactly hard to obtain thanks to the number of people removing them and
upgrading.

As such a computer expert I'd have thought that this would always be the
first route to take rather than sending such a device off for an official,
far more costly repair.
--
Mike C
-
Then how can you ever mean what you say?
AshVsAOD

-Raymond Harrell
Nick
2004-12-06 15:34:18 UTC
BTW you can always recover your XBox live account on a new XBox -- which
will allow you to redownload any content that you already purchased. So it
would be just the same. Your XBox died, things happen, just move forwards.
If you feel wronged by MS that it died, then buy a PS/2 otherwise purchase a
new Xbox and go forwards.
--
Nick W
GamerTag: StalkerofHades
-Raymond Harrell
Nick
2004-12-06 17:02:37 UTC
Further to this -- live accounts are recoverable without the use of memory
card -- you just need to use the same credit card as you did before when
registering. It's super easy. As for the rest of your problems -- you
invested 2500 in accessories and games -- these all still work. It's the
$300 XBox that doesn't. So go buy another one -- why on EARTH do you think
MS should compensate you for something that is totally out of warranty.

Then again, as indicated in threads, this is probably a troll so I just
vented off for nothing :)
--
Nick W
GamerTag: StalkerofHades
-Raymond Harrell
Paul Angstrom
2004-12-07 04:06:58 UTC
On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 20:05:02 -0800, "Raymanjr"
Post by Raymanjr
I am currently saving for a new game console. I have to wait until
Christmas to obtain the money to purchase a new one. Since I’m only 14 and
do not have a job, this money is not easy to come-by.
I own my own computer
business and I have strongly recommended the majority of all Microsoft
products, especially the Xbox.
However, I have roughly spent near
$2000 to $2500 dollars on my Xbox, Xbox games and the Xbox accessories.
That's an amusing set of contradictions you've including in your story.

You're 14 and unemployed, so money is hard for you to come by. Yet at
the same time you own your own "computer business."

You've also managed to spend up to $2500 of your personal money on your
Xbox and games. Somehow, that doesn't seem to match up with the part
about being 14 years old and strapped for cash.

Next time, try to get your lies straight before you hit the post button.
It will help keep you from looking as dumb as you seem.
--
A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of a message.
Q: Why is top posting a sloppy form of writing?
UnTruth
2004-12-09 01:00:16 UTC
No free xbox for you troll!
--
//Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket?